Sean has been a runner for most of his life, starting racing in 1983. He gradually worked his way up in distance with his first marathon in 1995, his first ultra in 2001 (which he won) and over 230 marathon and ultra finishes to date. Plus he's won at least one ultra each year since he began running them. Although he has mainly focused on ultramarathons for the past 14 years, he enjoys dabbling in a variety of race types and distances, especially enjoying multi-day stage races. Mimicking his own racing, Sean also enjoys coaching clients with goals over a wide variety of distances.
Some examples of races that Sean has competed at, and can therefore help you train for with course-specific knowledge, are:
- Western States 100 (racing, pacing/crewing)
- Sinister 7 148km (2013 Champion)
- Desert RATS 148mi, Stage Race (2010 & 2011 Champion)
- Lake Tahoe 72mi and Triple Marathon (Multiple year Champion)
- Bighorn 50mi (3x finisher, 2006 Champion)
- Waldo 100k
- Miwok 100k
- TransRockies Stage Race
- Squamish 50/50 Double
- Ultramaraton Caballo Blanco/Copper Canyon 80km
- Wonderland Trail 93 mi, solo, one-day run
- Grand Canyon R2R2R, 8x finisher
- Hardrock (3x pacing/crewing )
- Badwater 135 (2x pacing/crewing)
- Leadville (2x pacing/crewing)
- Many marathons, large and small, around the US
- USATF Certified Coach
- High School cross country coach for 10 years, plus working one-on-one with high school athletes
- Online coaching since 201, previously for iRunFar.com
- Race Director, Peterson Ridge Rumble 40mi/20mi
- Full blown ultra beard!
Follow Sean’s running exploits on Facebook.